Level 5 certificate/diploma FAQ’s

Home Forums AMSPAR FAQ’s Level 5 certificate/diploma FAQ’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    socialadmin
    Keymaster

Here you will find a number of questions that have been asked in relation to studying for this course.

Question:

Are all course materials provided?

Answer:

Yes.  Each module comes with its own specific lesson plan.  Each lesson plan will provide you with additional reading, which is already included in the software for you.  Each module will also include an assignment with instructions for completion.

Question:

Can I attend an AMSPAR council meeting?

Answer:

AMSPAR encourages all registered student to be actively involved in their membership organisation.  Opportunities exist for students to be involved in council activities as a co-opted member to council.  Please contact head office for further details on 020 7387 6005.

Question:

Can I meet other students?

Answer:

Yes.  All students are encouraged to meet and discuss their studies with other students. If you have attended an Open Day, then it is likely that you will have already met someone who will be joining your cohort.  Alternatively, you can use your personal student software to interact with other students on your course.  You can send messages and blog about your course and exchange thoughts and ideas about your own organisations.  Students are reminded about the rules on plagiarism.

Question:

Do I have to pay additional registration costs to City and Guilds?

Answer:

No.  All course costs are inclusive and as per the current published price and any additional registration fees are paid by AMSPAR to City and Guilds on your behalf.  The only additional fee payable will be your optional student discount card if you choose to take up this offer.

Question:

Do I have to purchase any further reference books?

Answer:

No.  It is not necessary.  All additional reading materials will be included in your lesson plan.  Students may use their own reference materials, if they consider them appropriate, and may refer to such materials when completing their assignments.  Students will also have access to our practipedia, which is a special library resource to compliment your studies.

Question:

Do I qualify to use a post nominal after my name?

Answer:

Yes.  All students who successfully pass the L5 certificate or diploma are automatically eligible to become full certified members of AMSPAR.  You may use the post nominal and designation applicable to your membership grade.  Typically, upon completion of the course you would be entitled to the following;

Diploma : You may use the designation “Certified Strategic Manager” and the post nominal, CSMgr MAMS AIPC

and the certificate;

You may use the designation “Certified Practice Manager” and the post nominal, CPMgr MAMS AIPC

You can use these providing that you remain a fully paid up member of AMSPAR.  You may only use the designation for the higher level achieved, not both. 

Question:

Do you have to attend the open days?

It is not necessary to attend an open day, because all students will be provided with an induction course, which will include a student learner handbook and guidance about how the course will be undertaken.

Question:

Does my employer have to pay for this course?

Answer:

This is a level 5 qualification and therefore does not receive specific central funding.  Funding may be available from a local training grant (via your CCG or training hub), your employer may wish to sponsor you for this course and students are allowed to self-fund.  AMSPAR does offer various payment methods, which does include instalments.

Question:

Do your course tutors understand General Practice?

Answer:

Yes.  All our course tutors/assessors have worked in general practice and understand primary care.  Our lead course tutor/assessor is a leading expert in practice management.

Question:

I am already registered with City and Guilds, do I need to register again?

Answer:

You will need to advise AMSPAR Head Office on the registration form if you are previously registered with City and Guilds.  We will normally be able to continue using this registration number and will notify you if you are required to re-register.

Question:

I have already arranged to go on other training after the course starts, will this affect my studies?

Answer:

Each cohort will commence on an agreed date.  All registered students in each cohort will be given a timetable, which is indicative of the time needed to complete their studies.  Deadlines may be extended to take account of annual leave, sickness or other work-related issues, which could include other training needs.  Students will be given the opportunity to discuss deadlines with their nominated tutor.

Question:

I have been out of full-time education for a long while, will this course be suitable for me?

Answer:

This is a vocational course, so your current experience and knowledge will help you.  Most students who have not studied for a long while will find the interactive software easy to use and you will always be able to contact your course tutor at any time if you are not sure about any aspect of your course.

Question:

If I fail a module, are my studies over?

Answer:

We will work with every student to ensure that they are equipped and ready to take each assignment when they are due.  If necessary, we will agree with a student to defer entry into an assignment, if we feel that further tuition is required.  Any student that does not successfully pass all criteria at the first attempt will be given the opportunity to re-submit their work one more time.  Although only the grade of PASS will be awarded.

Question:

If I miss a deadline will my grade be affected?

Answer:

No. Please notify your tutor if you do not expect to meet a deadline. You should be aware that it you consistently do not achieve the published deadlines, you may need to discuss the matter with your tutor and resolve any issues that are preventing you from completing your studies. Both the certificate and diploma course can be completed within the allowed registration dates with City and Guilds.

Question:

Is it possible to pay course fees by instalments?

Answer:

Yes.  AMSPAR does offer various instalment options.  Please ask Head Office for details when you enquire or make your application.

Question:

What happens if I need to go on holiday during my course?

Answer:

Each cohort will be allocated a start date and usually the certificate will be completed over 35 weeks and the diploma over 60 weeks.  All students will be registered with City and Guilds and may continue to study the course as long as their registration remains valid (this is normally 3 years).  Therefore, it is possible to extend your studies for reasonable requests and this must be agreed with your tutor

Question:

What types of business cases are needed?

Answer:

Each student who registers for the Diploma course will be required to complete a business case/plan.  Students will agree the proposed outline with AMSPAR before commencing the assignment.  Ideally, it will be a topic that has the approval of your employing organisation and will be a subject that you are not currently expected to do as part of your existing service requirements.

Question:

When can I register for the course?

Answer:

AMSPAR offer numerous intakes per calendar year.  Normally, students will be expected to register about 1 month before the course actually starts to ensure the City and Guilds enrolment procedure is completed.

Question:

Why do I have to complete a feedback form?

Answer:

After each assignment, students will be notified of their grade and will be provided with a feedback form completed by their assessor.  All students need to sign this form and are given the opportunity to make their own comments.  It is a requirement for registering your grade and obtaining the correct certification.

Question:

Will I receive a certificate for each module?

Answer:

Yes.  Each student will be awarded a certificate for each module passed.  This will be at Pass, Merit or Distinction.  Students must pass all the relevant modules to complete the certificate or diploma.  You will receive an overall certificate of completion.  Attainment and proficiency certificates are allocated upon the module completion.  This is for your own use only and all accredited certificates are requested by Head Office and delivered to students at the end of the course.

Question:

If a candidate failed their first Business Plan, how many times can the candidate re-submit the same Business Plan to which amendments were made?

Answer:

Candidates can re-submit the same Business Plan only once and achieve up to a Pass grade on the re-submission.

Question:

Does a candidate have to allow a certain amount of time before they can re-submit a Business Plan?

Answer:

The re-submission can be done from the next available submission date, which will usually give the student about 6 weeks to make any amendments.

Question:

Can a candidate submit a brand new Business Plan?

Answer:

Candidates can only do this if they have failed their original Business Plan twice (first submission and re-submission). They can submit their new Business Plan once only.

Question:

What is the wordcount for the Business Case and Business Plan? 

Answer:

The recommended word count for the Business Case is 2000 words (maximum is 3000 words). The recommended word count for the Business Plan is 4000 words (maximum is 6000 words).

Question:

Are unit certificates issued?

Answer:

Yes, Certificates of Unit Credit (CUCs) are issued for units under 4419-05 and 4419-06. As stated earlier, attainment certificates are also issued throughout the course.

Question:

How does a candidate appeal their Business Plan result if they have failed or if only a Pass has been achieved?

Answer:

If the candidate disagrees with a decision made regarding their result, they can appeal against it. The candidate should discuss their case with their centre as soon as possible. If the centre agrees with the candidate, the centre will fill in an appeals form and send it to City & Guilds on behalf of the candidate.

Question:

How long does it take for a Business Plan to be marked?

Answer:

Providing the Business Plan is submitted in the required format, with all the correct forms included, by the deadline date stated for the chosen marking window, then centres should be able to view candidates’ results from six weeks from the start of the marking window. For example, if the marking window is January, and the Business Plan and relevant forms are received by City & Guilds by the end of December, then the centre should be able to view candidates’ results by 15 February.  All other modules are generally marked within two weeks of the submission date.  Grades are automatically posted and students advised.

Question:

What should candidates do if they have been made redundant/changed jobs and no longer work in a doctors surgery? 

Answer:

In the first instance, candidates should refer to the appropriate person at the centre. The centre should also contact City & Guilds on candidates’ behalf, in case further help or advice is require

Question:

Can I contact my tutor if I need to?

Answer:

In the first instance, students will be asked to contact their tutor via the messaging system and your tutor will then be available to you throughout your studies.

Question:

How does a candidate become a member of AMSPAR?

Answer:

Every student enrolling on this course will become a student member, which will allow you access to a student membership certificate and access to some membership resources.  This includes My membership, My news, My practipedia and My CPD.  You will also be eligible to apply for a student discount card.  Upon completion, you are automatically eligible for certified membership and Head Office will advise you how you can quickly and easily apply for full membership

For more information call +44 (0) 20 7387 6005

email: info@amspar.co.uk or visit http://www.amspar.org

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘AMSPAR FAQ’s’ is closed to new topics and replies.