General FAQ’s & Useful Information

Home Forums AMSPAR FAQ’s General FAQ’s & Useful Information

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    socialadmin
    Keymaster

Here you will find a number of questions that have been asked in relation to AMSPAR, our qualifications and studying with us.

Question:

I want to study medical terminology; can you tell me what is the difference is between self-study and online?

Answer:

Self-study 

Candidates study on their own (using the specification alongside the suggested books), without any tutor guidance. You must be able to register and enter for the examination through AMSPAR and come into Central London or our other exam venue (that rotates around the country) to sit the exam.

Registration lasts for 3 years and the candidate can sit the exam as many times as they need within that period. A fee is payable for each exam entry

Candidates study the course online and all course material, additional reading material and lessons are included within this package. The software is interactive and allows students to share information. There is no direct contact with a tutor and/or assessor.   The fee includes registration and one exam entry in the costs.  Candidates will have the opportunity to access mock tests before the exam, with self-marking of the papers as part of the learning process.

Registration lasts for 3 years, and the candidate can sit the exam as many times as they need within that period. A fee is payable for each exam entry Central London or our other exam venue that rotates around the country (Central London + one other venue)

Question:

When are the Medical Terminology exams?

Answer:

The exams normally follow the same pattern:

Level 2 is held on the first Tuesday of February, June and November at 2pm (1hr duration)

Level 3 is held on the first Tuesday of February, June and November at 2pm (1hr 45mins duration)

Closing dates for entries are approx. 10 weeks before so check the dates well in advance.

Question:

I am entered to sit the forthcoming Medical Terminology. When will I find out the venue?

Answer:

Full details of the venue are sent to candidates a few weeks prior to the exam. It is only at this point that we know the numbers that we need to accommodate. The central London venue is normally in the Euston area.

Question:

How can I get a re-issue of my AMSPAR Diploma? 

Answer:

You will need to complete one of the attached forms (pre-September 2008 if qualification achieved prior to Sept 2008) or (post-November 2008 if qualification achieved after November 2008). The latter also requires the Consent Form and a colour copy of your passport/driving license as proof of ID to accompany the signed consent form – this is required by City & Guilds for legal purposes. Return to AMSPAR with supporting evidence (where applicable), enclosing a cheque made payable to AMSPAR (see attached form for fee).  Alternatively, a bank transfer can be made (see details below).  Price is per qualification / certificate.

Question:

Do I need to be a member in order to take a Course?

Answer:

No. Membership and Course registration are separate. All candidates studying with AMSPAR automatically qualify for Student Membership although this does not provide the full package of benefits such as the Legal Support Helpline.

Question:

Do I need to do a Level 2 course before doing a Level 3 one?

Answer:

No. A candidate can enter at whichever level they feel comfortable with

Question:

Is funding available for courses?

All AMSPAR / City & Guilds qualifications are regulated which mean they are eligible for public funding. This does not mean that funding will be forthcoming. Funding varies by country/region, qualification and your own personal circumstances. Policies are constantly changing. A useful starting point is Funding For Training | City & Guilds (cityandguilds.com)

For England: Education and Skills Funding Agency – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

For Wales: Student finance: higher education: Applying for student funding | GOV.WALES

For Northern Ireland: Higher education division | Department for the Economy (economy-ni.gov.uk)

For Scotland: Student bursaries, grants, scholarships and loans – mygov.scot

Question:

How do I apply for the AMSPAR Future Leaders Programme?

Answer:

To apply for one of the scholarships you should submit a letter to AMSPAR (Tavistock House South, Tavistock Sq, London W1CH 9LN). This should state your current circumstances, your position at work, your aspirations and how a scholarship will help. You should also submit support from your employer (if in post).

Alternatively go to amspar.org and complete the online expression of interest form and we will get in touch with you.

Question:

How do I make a payment to AMSPAR?

Answer:

You can make an online card payment on this website via Paypal. Just visit amspar.org

Bank transfers can be made using the following details –

• National Westminster Bank
      ·         AMSPAR Account Number    12762989 (Some banks require The Association of…as name)
      ·         Sort Code                                  50-30-25
      ·         Add a reference                       candidate / member surname + Qual/Membership No.Please inform AMSPAR of when you have made your payment and we will confirm receipt.

Question:

What are Guided Learning Hours (GLH)?

Answer:

This is the amount of time on average that is required co cover a course or module. 10 GLH equates to 1 Credit.

Question:

Do AMSPAR / City & Guilds Qualifications carry UCAS points?

Answer:

Yes. All regulated qualifications are allocated UCAS points.

Question:

How do I download my Membership Certificate on the AMSPAR Health Academy?

Answer:

All members of AMSPAR are given an account on the AMSPAR Health Academy. On logging in you should change your password. In the Membership section complete the checklist – this alerts Head Office who will then ‘approve’ the Certificate. It will then be available to download.

Question:

How do I obtain my NUS/Totum Pro Discount Card?

Answer:

All AMSPAR Students (with the exception of the Award in Health Service Administration) and Members are eligible to hold the Totum Pro Discount Card. To ask for your unique activation code click here AMSPAR – Totum Pro powered by NUS extra   You will then be sent the code and registration instructions.

Question:

What is the difference in the Medical Administration Levels?

Answer:

The level 2 covers areas such as Working in the NHS to medical terminology, where as at level 3 there will also be opportunities to learn Managing communication in a medical environment and medical principles. Both levels incorporate the new business administration units as options. At level 3 there is 2 pathways; one leading to a more senior administrative level and the other to the full medical Secretary role (requiring Medical Terminology at level 3).

Question:

Are there Exams for the qualifications?

Answer:

This varies depending on the qualification. Medical Terminology is assessed by a written exam which is externally marked. Medical Administration contains a number of externally marked exams with a number of internally assessed assignments. The Certificate part of the DPCHM has internally marked assignments with the Diploma requiring an externally marked Business Project.

Question:

What is the Academic Year?

Answer:

This is taken as beginning on the 1st of September each year. AMSPAR’s prices for the year run from this point.

Question:

How often does the DPCHM have an in-take?

Answer:

Cohorts start every 2 months. The first in the year is February followed by April etc.

Question:

Is VAT included in the prices?

Answer:

AMSPAR is a Charity (No. 313310) and not registered for VAT.

Question:

How do I claim tax relief on my Membership?

Answer:

This can be done by completing form P87 which can be found here – Claim Income Tax relief for your employment expenses (P87) – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

For more information call +44 (0) 20 7387 6005

email: info@amspar.co.uk or visit http://www.amspar.org

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘AMSPAR FAQ’s’ is closed to new topics and replies.